The Parkway Half Marathon benefits your Parkway!
Over the past 10 years, the Parkway Half Marathon and Sacfit have generated revenue for the Parkway in excess of $300,000, all of which contributed to the operation, maintenance, restoration, and beautification of the American River Parkway.
Have you ever enjoyed a run, ride, walk, or kayak trip on the American River Parkway?
If so, you know how important the American River Parkway is to the Sacramento area. It is referred to as Sacramento’s “crown jewel,” a “blueprint for urban parks,” and the greatest recreational asset to our community. The Parkway makes our region an ideal place to live, work, and play.
Have you ever wondered who takes care of the Parkway?
Sacramento County Department of Parks and Recreation, along with thousands of volunteers from various organizations, including Sacfit and the Parkway Half Marathon, care for and support the American River Parkway each year. These public and private organizations work to support the conservation and enjoyment of the American River Parkway by fostering environmental, education, and stewardship for projects, such as:
- parkway pass program
- running trail maintenance
- trash clean-up
- burn-site restoration
- planting of native flora and trees
Fun Facts – What does it really take to run the Parkway?
Each year, the American River Parkway sees 8 million visits for activities such as running, walking, horseback riding, cycling, kayaking, and fishing. The Parkway is 23 miles long and expands over 4,800 acres of land and water. And it takes a lot of resources and volunteers to keep the Parkway open.
For example, in a typical year:
- Over 28,000 rolls of toilet paper for all the restrooms costing approximately $28,000.
- That’s 909 miles of toilet paper – equivalent to almost 35 full marathons or the drive from Sacramento to Vancouver, Canada!
- Over 32,000 trash bags costing nearly $27,000
- Approximately 60,000 poop bags distributed to 12 dispensers along the Parkway
- 26 rangers to keep you safe
- Removal of over 35,000 pounds of trash from the Parkway – equivalent to the weight of 9 cars!
- 5,000+ volunteers donating over 15,000 hours
- Nearly 60 volunteer events
- Removal of over 30,000 invasive plants from the Parkway such as yellow star thistle, stinkwort, and red sesbania
- Clearing all 23 miles of running trails
We need your support to keep going! Register for the Parkway Half Marathon and give back to your American River Parkway.
See Our Impact
Running Trail Before and After
Burn Site Before and After